Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Nesting


I’m 35 weeks pregnant today and the ‘nesting instinct’ has finally hit.  I’ve read that this can usually hit around 5 months or right before the onset of labor.  I also read that it can result in compulsive and ‘irrational cleaning’.  I think any form of cleaning at 35 weeks should be considered irrational.  It’s the weirdest feeling to have so much energy but a body that can’t keep up with the brain chemicals.  I want to take this pregnancy suit off for a few hours so I can scrub the bathtub, mow the lawn and disinfect the screws inside the door handles. 

I’m so thankful for this burst of energy because I’ve been able to accomplish a lot of things that were on my mental ‘to-do’ list.  Pack hospital bag:  check.  Take Bailey to get her haircut: check.  Match up all socks (haven’t done that before…ever): check.  Wash all clothes twice, clean out refrigerator, clean out car, set up bassinet, donate old clothes: check.  Wash dishes: nope, that’s Mark’s job.  I was worried before that this intrinsic need to prepare for a baby wasn’t going to happen for me.  Forms of ‘nesting’ occur in nearly all animals but for whatever reason it wasn’t happening for me.  Since my logical brain understood that we cannot plan our predict the outcome of our future, my psychology was protecting my emotions by blocking this instinct from naturally occurring….or so I thought.

There is still so much to do and not enough time to do it, both at work and at home.  At work, I feel like I have started more projects than I can finish in a few short weeks and I need to start putting some things to rest.  At home, there is an endless need for organization and sanitizing.  There is also endless dog hair.  I hate dog hair. Can I wax the dog?  Is that allowed?

Gotta go get ready for work and take Bailey to school.   She’s packing her lunch right now and just shouted, “I can’t open the lunch meat! The packaging is child-proof!”   

~Melissa

2 comments:

  1. I once heard a story about a child with a very unique condition and about her parents being "chosen" because they were so strong and so good that they could be trusted to take care of such a child. I get the feeling you qualify. Best wishes to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete